Status
Not open for further replies.

garciaf

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2016
NI
Hello
Here is my issued

I would like to know the Maintenance frequency to open a split case fire pump in order to inspect the shaft, wearing rings,and other internal parts of the pump.
There is a standard that state this.
Please your comments.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Maintenance frequency can usually be found in companywide maintenance policy document, which is based upon user experiences generally following standard recommendation from equipment vendors. Nevertheless, for FW pumps you may consider :
General Maintenance interval = after every 8,000 ~ 10,000 hours after installation
Maintenance interval for major overhaul = after every 10 years of installation

Hope this helps.

FW pumps are a bit odd as apart from the weekly test to destruction running, they hardly ever rotate.

The vendor should have provided some guidance as FW pumps come as a FW package.

I would just monitor its test and only if you find any issue would I bother opening it up.

If you want a target 10 years sounds good to me also.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Per NFPA 25 Requirements for Fire Pump Tests, annual fire pump flow tests are required. If you keep these tests on hand (as required) a reduction of flow / pressure capability will indicate when pump disassembly for wear ring replacement is "required".

As mentioned above, we do the annual firewater pump flow test to ensure the pump performance to be per original design requirement and meet the overall flow requirement. If not, the required mitigation may be recommended for consideration.

A well engineered fire pump, subject to the normal test requirements would outlast the building that it was installed in, considering a 30 minute run once a week would equals about 1 days operation / per year.
As LittleInch noted, 10 years would be a reasonable period before even considering opening the pump, and why would you bother at any other time unless a seal or similar ar was showing signs of leakage.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Hi,
You may have requirement about performing regular flow /pressure tests from your insurance company in charge of your facility, let say once a month.
During the test capacity you or third party will evaluate the pump condition (performance and leakage) and will decide to overhaul the machine.
Note: What is your back up plan in case of maintenance of your fire pump?
Good luck
Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back