Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

friction angle of road base materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

USER10

Materials
Oct 12, 2007
CA
Hello
i am looking for a source providing friction angle of road base materials ( typically Mulch gravelly sand 19 mm compacted to 95 % modified proctor destiny ). i am assuming that we are talking above 40 degree as a minimum ?
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually, road base material is well-graded crushed stone. 40 degrees is probably a nominal phi angle for that type of material. We typically use 34 degrees as a conservative design value.

For a Type 1 road base, as defined in the UK, (similar to HRs, well graded crushed) I would be comfortable giving a phi of 38 degrees. Thats assuming you have all the documentation to confirm its been placed, compacted to a good spec. But if you had all the documentation you probably would have a shear box test result....

As a peak friction angle 40 degrees is probably low, as a residual friction angle 34.

A lot of us dot organizations post values and testing results.

dense-graded aggregate would be easily 44 degrees. Open-graded aggregate at least as good.

Regarding the dense-graded aggregate, the FHWA did do some checking on this for their GRS-IBS bridge system design.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back