Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Friction in Exhaust Stack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

choack

Chemical
Mar 11, 2012
AU
Exhaust stack have friction chart like the one I attached.

How about for higher temperature? If there is not chart available, what equation should be used?

Christopher Kenneth Choa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There could be a couple of methods:

Most of drop is the loss of velocity head at the exit. Calculable from various compressible gas formulas

You can always make your own table for this method and see how it compares against your published table.

Good luck.

I don't believe the compressible gas formulas will apply to something you call an "exhaust stack." What process is the exhaust coming from - a boiler maybe?

I think the formula will apply, but you will be in the laminar area and you need to be carefull when calculating your friction factor. As noted rememebr the exit loss.

The chart you posted will give you the friction loss at Standard Conditions, typically at 70 degrees F and sea level.

Click on the link I posted below.

Scroll all the way down to near the end of the linked article, to "Air Density Correction." There you will see how to CORRECT the friction you calculated at Standard Conditions, to the friction you will have at the higher temperature and altitude.

http://www.captiveaire.com/Manuals/ExhaustFans/SystemAppGuide/ApplicationsR1.asp?Item_id=859
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back