Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

friction reduction in extreme bearing pressure applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanBangert

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2002
US
I have a cam driven clamping system which has a roller and pin follower. I've been successfully using a thin walled (0.04" wall thickness) friction reducing bushing pressed into the ID of the roller to keep things moving. The bushing is a composite structure with a mild steel backing, a sintered bronze coating and a layer of Pb/Tfe. Increasing performance demands has increased bearing contact pressure over 38,000 psi. At this pressure the base metal used in the bushing (AISI1008 according to the manufacturer) is being cold worked, causing it to thin out, extrude and fail. Maximum loads are virtually static applications.

My pin and rollers are pretty exotic materials, both have yield strengths in excess of 200,000 psi. I need an alternative method to reduce the friction between the pin and roller at these extreme pressures. Geometric constrains prohibit increasing the sizes to reduce the contact pressure. At these pressures friction welding is always problem. Any suggestions for coating systems or special thin wall "bearings or bushings"? thanks for any assistance Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had some positive experiences using Magnaplate coatings in various applications on both aluminum and steel parts. They call their coatings "synergistic". They can be Rc 60 or better and slick at the same time. Perhaps they have something that will help you.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back