Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Friction resistance of no fines gravity wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristrium

Structural
Sep 26, 2010
AU
Does anyone have any information on the coefficient of friction of a segmental retaining wall with gravel or no fines backfill on the concrete base?

It seems to be general practise to interchange either a concrete or crushed rock base, but I am concerned that the concrete base will provide a lower frictional resistance.

Keystone suggest a value of 205+0.3N (lbs/lf).(effectively a coefficient of 0.3). I have also seen values of 0.8 for concrete on concrete (PCI design handbook). This seems like quite a range.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the COF value from PCI for interfaces between 2 precast concrete members? I might expect that high for CIP against precast, but not precast on precast.

In AASHTO, Table C3.11.5.3-1 (taken from US Dept. of the Navy) give COF values for precast concrete against various materials ranging from .40 to .49 (clean gravel, gravel-sand mix, etc.) down to .25 (silt, fine sandy silt). The 0.3 may be conservative, based on what I'm seeing, 0.5 might be overestimating the friction.

EireCHch

Yes I would normally use 2/3 phi which would be appropriate for a crushed rock base. I am concerned that if the crushed rock is substituted with concrete then the sliding resistance will actually be reduced. But I see concrete being substituted for crushed rock on a regular basis.

For crushed rock with a phi of 34 degrees, the typical COF value of TAN(2/3 phi) is 0.42. 2/3 TAN(phi) is .45. Either way, it seems fairly similar to what we're expecting for concrete, at least unfinished or rough-finished concrete. If the concrete was finished smooth, there could be a significant reduction in the COF.

Always use what the manufacturer recommends as they perform lab tests on their products to develop design criteria. Are you using Keystone or a different product?

@tristrium.

I Have been advised by Redirock - Another large Big Block supplier to reduce friction by a factor of 0.8 when concrete is used - But I usually put broom finish on concrete in my notes to discourage smooth surfaces and still use a reduction factor although I am tended to use 0.9 over sites where I have more control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back