Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

From AWS 5.20 To AWS 5.36

Status
Not open for further replies.

salvo1609

Petroleum
Jul 15, 2014
IT
For our qualifications PQR (last done in 2012) to cored wire for carbon steel, we use the wire classified SFA / AWS A5.20 E71T-1M.

Today we received from our supplier wire classified SFA / AWS A5.36 E71T1-M21A0-CS2.

The classification QW-404.12 is different, we have to issue new qualification?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. But you will have to revise the WPS to allow E71T1 from SFA 5.36, in addition to 5.20. If it's not on the WPS, you can't use it.

A5.20 will be adopted by the A5.36 to include all of the carbon steel flux core electrodes. Some manufactures have moved to this (Bohler is one), but few have followed yet. I dont think it is mandatory for the filler metal manufacturers to change until next year. I think, but I have ran into this already before also.

The WPS should be revised to include A5.36. Keep A5.20 as well because it will not disappear entirely for another two years.

The PQR should be revised to indicate A5.20 is changed to A5.36, but do not change the original A5.20 specification listed by the PQR. Simply add the notation A5.20 is now A5.36.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back