Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
"Airbus to use hydrogen-burn gliders to analyse emissions and contrail impact
20 Jul 2022

Airbus is to start test flights with a hydrogen-burning glider this winter in order to assess the potential emissions and contrail effects from a scaled-up hydrogen-fuelled engine. Two modified Schempp-Hirth Arcus-J gliders – one fitted with a bespoke gaseous hydrogen combustion engine and the other with a conventional kerosene engine ..."

"bespoke" ? ... seriously ? that's the adjective a technical site uses to describe an engine ? and I don't care that they simply posted a press release from Airbus. Airbus shouldn't IMHO use such an adjective (to describe an engine).

And examining contrails ? good grief ! sampling engine emissions (and upper atmosphere chemistry) is clearly more scientific than contrails.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

of course not !

"where have all the contrails gone ?" (if we could make them disappear)
"See, they're hiding them from us ! See there is a conspiracy !!"

from wiki ...
The word bespoke has evolved from a verb meaning 'to speak for something', to its contemporary usage as an adjective. Originally, the adjective bespoke described tailor-made suits and shoes. Later, it described anything commissioned to a particular specification (altered or tailored to the customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser). In contemporary usage, bespoke has become a general marketing and branding concept implying exclusivity and limited runs.

This isn't what I thought it meant (I thought it meant high quality). But this definition fits the usage in Flight, even if I think it's "odd".

I think it's an overused word, I thought meant to imply quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back