Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

from Mechanical Engineering to Electrical Engineering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohsen662

Industrial
Jul 1, 2012
US
Hi everybody,
I recently interested in electrical engineering specially designing circuits,
Electrical-Mechanical equipment, machines and etc.
And I like to continue my study from mechanical engineering in B.S. to electrical engineering in M.S.
Have you seen somebody like me who switched his or her studies from ME to EE?
Can my decision be helpful in my future?
Can I challenge with EE?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. I've seen a BSME and then go for a MSEE. I've seen a BSEE go for a MSME. My brother-in-law got a BS Chem E and later a MS in Industrial Engineering. I once met a BSEE who worked doing power and HVAC for large buildings with a civil design firm and got a PE in Civil Engineering late in his career. Many engineers cross-over into other engineering disciplines.

For a BSME to a MSEE expect to take a lot more math courses. MEs study phenomena that can frequently be seen, felt, or sensed, and as such are easier for the human imagination to understand and comprehend. EEs mostly study phenomena that cannot be seen, felt, or touched, and can be hard for the brain to fully comprehend and visualize.

I think that pair of degrees would be valuable. As an EE who spends a lot of time designing controls for HVAC systems and doing building energy simulations with HAP and eQuest, I had to learn my HVAC, heat transfer, and all the stuff in the ASHRAE books on the job. That would have been lots easier if I had been exposed to it in school.

In machine design, I would think it would be even more valuable.

I only know one fellow who took the path that you asked about. He's successful. He did come to me and a couple others for a bit of help with the EE math, but he was sharp and didn't need much.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

I have a friend who got a BS in aeronautics so he could be a carrier based naval fighter pilot. After that he went back to school and got a MS in electrical engineering. After working at Corning for a few years on glass drawing, of all things, he went to med school and became a physician. He set up his own private medical office. If you're really interested go for it.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I think degrees from multiple disciplines may help an experienced engineer.

But if you have no experience, I'd think there would be a challenge finding that first job going in with BSME +MSEE since most entry job requirements seek one or the other discipline not both. I'd think you'd have more choices entering the market with BSME + MSME

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back