Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frost Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpuk1

Civil/Environmental
Oct 2, 2007
GB
Hi , could anyone explain to me what frost plugs are on UK standard Fire Hydrants, and how they work?

Thanks
Richard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A frost plug is usually a cup shaped sheet metal or similar "plug" located within a piece of equipment and designed to be extruded from its location as and when the water in the equipment expands should it starts to freeze. If you look at an engine block you can usually see them located in a number of locations, however I'm not sure where you would see then located in a fire hydrant.

I'll offer my guess-

In some USA northern climates hydrants are provided with a small plug in the base. Thge plug is removed upon installation. After using a hydrant and the hydrant valve is closed, the water can slowly drain out through the hole. This prevents ice from forming during cold weather, which could expand and damage the hydrant. Sometimes referred to as "frostproof", that's how I made the connection to "frost plug".

Status
Not open for further replies.