Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FRP and VOC's, flammablility and combustability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity

Structural
May 17, 2001
US
I need some assistance with FRP (specifically, carbon with epoxy resin) and the following:

Given this definition:

Flash point: the minimum temperature at which a liquid gives off vapor within a test vessel in sufficient concentration to form an ignitable mixture with air near the surface of the liquid. The flash point is normally an indication of susceptibility to ignition.

The flash point is determined by heating the liquid in test equipment and measuring the temperature at which a flash will be obtained when a small flame is introduced in the vapor zone above the surface of the liquid.​

If a data sheet states is has ZERO VOC's (volatile organic compounds), does that therefore mean that a CURED FRP matrix (of carbon and epoxy) is non-flammable (flash point below 100ºF) and non-combustible (flash point at or above 100ºF)?

I did not think VOC's were related to flammability/combustibility, but I have been recently told otherwise. Now I am confused. Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most epoxide resins that do not, have flammable diluents added, have a closed cup flash point of somewhere around 200 degrees F.
Cured resins are combustible, however the flash point is well above 200 degrees F.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

VOC's are defined by the EPA as being photochemically reactive in the atmosphere, creating ozone and nitrogen oxides pollution. For example, acetone is a flammable organic compound but is not classed as a VOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back