Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRP Pipe Installation Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPinson

Petroleum
Jan 2, 2014
FR
Hi,

I need to install in a chemical plant a whole network of vent lines coming from the reactors and going to scrubbers and oxydizer.

Client requested to have these lines in FRP (Fiberglass).

Can someone tell me what is the installation cost of this kind of pipe.

I'm looking for an easy way to estimate the cost, preferably in $/inch.

Or has anyone a ratio to compare it to stainless steel for example?

Thx

Mathieu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As no one has responded I'll give you my best shot.

Installation costs are quite high and actually based more on cost/time per joint not really dependent on size. If you get more than two or three joints a day you're doing well, on the basis that they are glued.

The decision to use GRE is often based on long term lack of maintenance/ no corrosion, not material and installation costs.

I would guess it's two to three times stainless installation costs if you're using glued joints. Maybe less if you're using only screed or o ring type connectors. You need to be slow and careful with this type of pipe otherwise you'll run into lots of problems.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Weve recently finished a pilot with some few hundred piping butt welds in PE100/PVDF, you might be amazed how much 'cheaper' it was compared to ss316 piping, on a per weld basis. (Low pressure, small sizes)

Thank you.

It seems that below a certain diameter (around 6 or 8'') it is cheaper than stainless steel, but it becomes way more expensive above that.

PE < Stainless; FRP >> Stainless

"If you get more than two or three joints a day you're doing well. . "
and do not forget to add in the cost for the curing 'heater blankets'. Most FRP/GRE epoxy wants to cure at 80°F / 27°C. And the epoxy kits have to be kept at that temperature until time to mix it up. Usually means a pickup truck idling with the heat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back