Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRP Sections Subject to High Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckPE

Structural
Apr 14, 2021
CA
I was recently approached by a client in the mining industry for some testing on FRP grating. The problem is this: the manufacturer of the FRP product guarantees the product will go to 70C without structural degradation. The grating would potentially be subjected to product with temperatures as high as 160C in an upset condition. I don't purport to be an FRP expert, but I suspect the glass shouldn't degrade at temperatures of 160C, so I suspect this is confined to an epoxy problem.

We'll do the testing to be sure, but I'm seeking a sniff test on whether the testing would potentially return a result that indicates deflection or strength is potentially diminished by subjecting the FRP grating to higher temperatures. The client is seeking to execute an order, and wants to gauge risk on the testing. Any helpful advice or experience with FRP at high temperatures would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Firefighters use wooden ladders because FRP doesn't show obvious signs of degreadation from heat damage. I think in this case it would be best to use a resin that is rated at 160C continuously and not consider it a transient condition.

Garolite G-11 is an example with such a rating.

Look at the resins carefully. Most won't handle long term at temps over 70 or 80C for extended times, and the degradation is cumulative.
As the resin degrades it will suffer more abrasion damage, and then it is all downhill from there.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thank you for your replies.

I read through the following academic research article. It was hugely informative, and summarizes the extent of FRP testing at high temperatures completed to date. Several of the referenced papers are from the 2018 to 2020 range, so relatively current as well.

I read through, and I've made my sniff test inferences. I think there's a risk of degradation at extended exposure to 160C, but I doubt the testing will reveal a change in moment resistance or stiffness following slow cooling. My 2 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back