Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FSI simulation of arterial blood flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonka11

Bioengineer
Jan 19, 2022
PL
Hi,
I'm trying to simulate blood flow through healthy internal carotid artery, including movement of arterial wall. I'm using co-simulation in Abaqus. My artery is modeles as straight tube with wall modeled as shell (i tried both with elastic and hyperelastic materials). I initially applied real velocity and pressure amplitudes as BCs in inlet and outlet, however, after many unsuccessful attempts I simplified case to steady pressure difference for diagnostic purposes. My major concern is that wall gets severly distorted when pressure rises closely to 120 mmHg (which is normal arterial pressure), which completely disturbs flow. Such result is far from realistic. Please help me, because I'm certainly making some errors and can't figure it out. I attached database of my simulation setup. Thank you in advance for any help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=867c15d1-b96e-439b-843b-89a442fcfdfc&file=FSI.cae
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CFD is not supported in Abaqus since the 2017 release and thus this model can't be opened or submitted properly in newer versions. So could you share some screenshots (especially with results of interest) and additional descriptions ?

Have you performed an evaluation of this hyperelastic material ? You should make sure that it's stable in the expected range of strains.

Not knowing the intent behind the simulation, I recommend using a better code for fluid-structure interaction. I do not know if OpenFOAM can do FSI but, if it can, then that would make an excellent open source option. ADINA and ANSYS/LS-DYNA are two commercial codes that I would recommend for solving FSI. Otherwise, you will be left with stitching solid solutions to fluid solutions over time - which you shouldn't have to do.

If you must stick with Abaqus, then X-Flow is an option. Or, if you can't use X-Flow, then take a step back and you use displacements and uncouple the solid and fluid solutions.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back