Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuel/air cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz1

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2003
GB
hey guys looking for a little help on a little project.

im working from C R Fergusons book 'internal combustion engines' so would be helpful if anyone is familiar with this.

i am trying to thermodynamically model the cycle of a particular engine.

im having a little trouble with the compression, expansion and combustion processes explained in chapter 3.

The book gives a combustion program on p74 called 'equilibrium combustion solver'. You put in pressure, temp, equivalence ratio and fuel type and it gives mole fractions of the products and mixture properties. What im not sure of is whether you put in your properties (p,T) before combustion and it calculates what mixture properties will result after, or whether its for calculating
mixture properties (h,u,s,v) of the combustion products at that specified pressure and temp.

im guessing the latter based on the fact the author also uses the program to calc changes of state due to isentropic compresion or expansion.

any help much appreciated,
thanks,
Gareth.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My book is dated 1986 and it uses FORTRAN programs. Chapter 3 starts on page 103. It has been way too long ago that I took that class; maybe I can find my 5.25" disk with the program some day. Just glancing at the text and "a subroutine for equilibrium combustion products," it seems that P & T are for the conditions during the chemical reaction. Therefore, I agree with your assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back