Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuel Cpnsumption simulation on Adams Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

polikhoja

Automotive
May 2, 2023
IT
Good time of the day!
I am part of student team which participates on Shell Eco Marathon where the team with least consumption wins. Till now we were able to make a reliable model that we simulate with event builder on tracks that resemble the real tracks of the competition.

The problem is I am not able to implement a function or a request or a variable, which would use a run-time function, I guess. It is a very important feature of Adams that was never exploited before thus we dont have any starting ground to rely on.

Below I will try to explain how we compute the consumption:

1. We use this table to get the fuel consumption rate ( in gramms per second) which is related to the engine rpm and throotle demand. Table is similar to the engine map where you get the velocity with respect to the engine speed and torque
photo_2023-05-02_19-22-33_znwwot.jpg
. And 3000 rpm is the idle speed of the engine. And throttle on is throotle demand of 1 and vice versa. Our car is modelled to have only full throttle when you push the gas pedal.

2. then we integrate that with respect to simulation time, gaining the total consumption over the simulation time

3. In the end we use unit coversions to gain the end result in liters per 100 km.

I appreciate any advice and directions. Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the reply GregLocock, we calculate the consumption the way you said, by exporting the result data to simulink and so on. But considering that we make strategies for the path and throttle on sections of the track it is very time consuming way of acquiring the consumption data, and it would be much easier to have the consumption data with everything else in the PostProcessor.
Looking forward for more insights from you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back