Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuel guage and sender 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carjocky

Automotive
Sep 10, 2015
US
I am working on a Hot Rod that has a 63 Studebaker instrument cluster installed it has a ohms reading of 200 and the Gas tank and sender are from a jeep I have a ohms reading of 75 empty and 10 full , The gauges cannot be changed and I could not find another sender to fit the opening in the tank, Is there a simple way to make the two work somewhat close together ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know what the empty/full readings for the Studebaker sender were? There are a few companies that make converters like what you need. Here is an example of one:

I made similar units before for some OEM CNG applications(trying to convert a tank % voltage into the stock fuel sender resistance reading. The biggest issue you may run into is nonlinearity in the points between empty and full. But many of those converters allow you to calibrate at a few points in between, so you should get close enough for it to be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back