Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuel injection and charge velocity

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacle

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2003
US
I was wondering if anyone has any quick tips or refferences to papers i might be able to find information on mixing fuel and air charges. Ive been told that below a certain velocity, i wont obtain an optimal mixture distribution and this could result in misfire, irregular flame propogation, and all sorts of other fun stuff. This is for a project that has irregular shaped chambers, so a mass amount of information is more than welcome. An analysis of what happens inside a regular combustion chamber wont necessarily answer all my questions, although it will certainly help me on my way.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maniacle,
One publication that I can suggest is 'The Internal combustion engine in theory and practice' by Charles Fayette Taylor. It is mentioned in that book about the use of Mach number to ensure adequate intake charge mixture speed entering the combustion chamber.
In Europe on the other hand, if I am not mistaken they recommend 70-75m/s for the intake charge entering the intake valve. Exhaust gas exiting the combustion chamber through the exhaust valve needs to have around 105m/s. From here, they can determine the suitable valve diameter for both intake and exhaust valve. Once the valve sizes are determined, they can determine the right bore and stroke.
Bear in mind that the modern engines have a lot of gizmos to enhance the intake and exhaust gas dynamic. Therefore, the two classical calculations above may not necessary lead you to the best conclusions.

AO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back