Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuel Injection Design Primer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfdancer

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2005
US
I am curious as to the workings of a fuel injector. Not necessarily the nozzle design for atomization of liquid, but the electromagnetic valve characteristics.

Any suggested sites I should start with?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can easily find this on the internet. I have seen several articles. If you are looking for books on the whole system, there are some good and bad ones, just ask again I will check at home.

Hi Surfdancer,

First of all you should really specify the type of injector that you are interested in. Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE) varies a lot between the fuel used and the application. A diesel system is very different to a petrol system, as a result the "electronics" varies.

Fredbert99,

You are correct. I am referring to the operation of an electrical, pulse modulated gasoline fuel injector.

I want to learn more about the workings, as I have a need for a high speed pulse modulated valve for a 3600 psig methane application.

I take it you're looking at direct injection of natural gas into an engine cylinder.
Two companies have been working on this for a while. One is Clean Air Partners in San Diego (I don't have their website) and the other is Westport Innovations in Vancouver B.C. (This is a challenging technology, and by no means truly commercialized yet by either company.

Actually no, hemi...

I am examining at a fuel control system concept, but not at the engine, per se. The concept is geared more towards regulating fuel pressure, not mass flow (although the device has to be capable of regulating pressure within a range of flow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back