Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fueling on unleveled ground problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equestion

Jan 3, 2018
ZA
Good day

I am after a MIL spec that states something related to fuelling on unlevelled aprons.

Some background on the problem I’m working on:
I want to establish a Fuelling procedure, I have looked at various fuelling scenarios and how it shifts the CG in the Lateral and Longitudinal axis, but now I am trying to “simulate” / calculate theoretically a worst case fuelling schedule on the unlevelled ground.

Hope someone can help me with something?

Kind regards

Life is a DIY project

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Worst case scenario fueling on unlevel ground so one wing is higher than the other. Aircraft has fuel feed to both tanks . You fill the lower wing tank first, then when you fill the higher wing tank the crossfeed dumps the fuel you are putting in, out of the overflow on the low wing making a mess on the ground and creating a fire hazard.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Equestion... RE refueling operations.

Presume that the fuel is turbine [Jet-A?] NOT Avgas?

Refueling temperature range -65F to +160F? Wind conditions? This affects landing gear struts and fuel-level sensing, etc.

Are you developing an Acft refueling system for a fixed-wing or rotary wing DoD or civilian Acft? IF DoD which service and is it tactical/non-tactical? IF FAA, is it under or over 12500# GTW?

Is your fuel system intended to be: (a) ground single point pressure refueling; or (b) 'over-wing' gravity refueling [thru 'gas-caps']; and (c) Aerial refueling; or all of these?

NOTE.
All refueling systems have added complexity RE over-flow venting, quantity measurement and static electricity dissipation.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

IR... Never considered why USN/USMC have a MIL-HDBK for this subject...

However... refueling on a pitching-rolling-yawing deck under high sea/wind conditions must present unique challenges!

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

well that applies to any plane (surely?) ...

I'd've thought the major impact of fueling on a slopping surface is how much fuel you can get in (or how much you can't) before the fuel level reaches the refueling hole (ie the plane is intended to refuel on a flat, horizontal, surface).

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Equestion seems to have 'gone silent' on this subject...

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back