Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fugitive emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CME19751

Chemical
Aug 22, 2012
US
Hello. I'm looking at emission factors to estimate fugitive emissions from equipment leaks (valves, pumps, etc.). The published EPA factors are for gases, light liquids, and heavy liquids. I'm curious about solids in solution, something as simple as a salt solution. Is it assumed that only the liquid solvent can escape, or is it possible solids also be assumed to escape as well? Is there any literature that looks into this? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

manly there are 3 mothods:

Method 1: Average (Default) Emissions Factor Method;
Method 2: Correlation Equation Method; and,
Method 3: Screening Value Range Method.

if you use google you will find intresting things.

Understood. I'm specifically asking about emission factors. I see that they are only provided for gases and liquids and was wondering if there is any literature/experience out there to indicate that solids in solution also leaked from process equipment. I have not seen anything in an internet search to indicate solids leaking from equipment.

I would make the assumption that if you have a solution with 10% solids, then the Fugitive emissions for that solution also contains 10% solids. This would be true as long as the solids are small particles.

However, if you had a "pulp" solution its pretty obvious the large solids are not leaking and becoming part of the fugitive emissions.

I can't say I have run across any matters on the subject.

Just keep searching the internet.

Fugitive emissions are vapors not solids or liquids with vapor pressure such that the vapors are emitted from the valve stem at the process temperature. Typically they are hydrocarbons. They increase the air pollution from a given facility.
Salt water that comes out of a leaking valve stem would be a leak if it is a liquid emission.
Leaks are a maintenance issue.
Hydrocarbon leaks can be an industrial hygiene problem and/ or an environmental problem.
Salt water and either of the two components do not contribute to hydrocarbon emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back