Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Full Text of chapters from ISO 14001:2001 and 9001:2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinLe

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2012
DE
Hello all,

we are not ISO certified. Now, a customer for a project wants some quality assurance equivalent to item 7.3 of ISO 9001:2000 and item 4.3.1 of ISO 14001:2004.

We try to understand what exactly is beeing demanded of us and how and if it meshes with our processes, so it would be helpful to have the texts of at least t he mentioned chapters. Are they availible somewhere for free? Beeing industry standarts, I guess they should b freely available. But so far, I googled without success.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that you have to pay for them. My company gets licensing from IHS for many standardizing organizations.

I will tell you that Clause 4.3.1 of ISO 14001:2004 refers to the planning and establishment of environmental aspects.

ISO 9001:2000 has been superseeded by ISO 9001:2008, so you may wish to clarify this with your client. Considering the benefits from implementing a QMS or EMS, it may be worth asking also if the client would view it as positive if you did actually obtain certification.

I am afraid the standards are not free to download from anywhere, they copyright is strictly enforced by ISO and it is probably best to go to their website and purchase a copy of the standards.

MartinLe said:
Being industry standards, I guess they should be freely available.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.. [lol] guess you have never dealt with ANY industry standards before.. Virtually NONE are free. Some can get quite expensive.. I've got a few that are $1000 to $2000+ each

You need to buy the standards.
ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.3 deals with Design and development. Can be summarized as below:
1. One must plan Design and development (D&D)- what, when, who, how etc.
2. Determine inputs required for D&D.
3. The D&D outputs must be in a suitable form so that it can verified against the inputs, eg. drawing, data sheet etc.
4. D&D must be reviewed at suitable stages as per plan.
5. D&D verification msut be done to check whether the D&D output meets the input requirements.
6. D&D validation must be done on the final product to ensure all requirements for the specified application are met.
7. Any change in D&D must be identified and records maintained.

Clause 7.3 in isolation may not be of much use. You need to study the full standard. It will help you to make your business processes more efficient and effective, if applied with earnest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back