Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fully Detail Connection in Midwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhDE

Structural
Dec 14, 2002
US
What is typical practice for connection design in the Midwest - fully design connection or provide forces (performance spec) for connection to be design by Contractor's engineer? In the East Coast we typically only provide forces. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FOR A STANDARD CONECTION I WOULD THINK FORCES WOULD BE FINE. I WORK WITH A FORMER STRUCTURAL STEEL DETAILER AND HE SAYS A GOOD DETAILER KNOWS WHAT NEEDS TO BE THERE. IF YOU HAVE A COMPLICTED CONNECTION IT DOESN'T HURT TO DETAIL YOUR CONNECTION, BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE STEEL DETAILERS ARE MORE THEN CAPABLE OF MAKING THE CONNECTIONS.

I practice in Nebraska, Iowa, north Kansas, west and central Iowa. Typically, the standard connection is shown and the detailer designs connections based on a prescribed load formula and following AISC procedure for standard connections. For moment connections, I have designed the connection and I have shown the loads on the plans and let the detailer design the connection. In the latter case, I ask to review the design prior to shop drawings. If an engineer's stamp is required for connection design, this is usually an added cost to the steel. Most buildings that I work on are in the low to mid rise category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back