Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fumed silica for reinforcing paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geneiusxie

Aerospace
Mar 10, 2013
US
Hi,

I was wondering if fumed silica would make epoxy or polyurethane based paint harder/more durable/scratch resistant? It works on rubber tires, so why not plastic?
Also, would carbon black work for reinforcing? Or even carbon nanotubes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about carbon nanotubes? That would seem like a pretty good idea - it has been shown that CNTs can double the hardness of copper.
Only problem would be that if the product ever gets burned or destroyed, you might release CNTs into the environment.

geneiusxie,
I think you will get a more sensible answer if you move your question to forum332 I have no experience with carbon nanotubes or buckyballs.
B.E.

CNT's will increase the viscosity extremely with the addition of only a few percent.

Depending a bit on what kind of durabilty you want can can add a small particel filler with a high hardness on the mohs scale, this will give you a smooth coating or just add some silica carbide which has a larger particel size which will give you a rough coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back