Functional CNC Tool Crib

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheal2

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2010
CA
Hey everyone.
So I am trying to find the best way to organize all of our tooling in our CNC department. We have a fairly large tool crib, but it is currently a total mess. We have 4 setup people, all with their own tool boxes with many random boring bars, drills, collets, etc inside. But we also have operators who go through inserts, etc. There are also many boxes beside the machines with machine specific things, like collets for that particular machine, but then other random stuff finds its way in and everything becomes a mess again.
We also have recently bought Esprit CAM system with all the categorizing and cataloguing of the tools and such, and we would like to keep an inventory of tools and inserts, much better than we already have.
Now I know the obvious thing to do would be to make a specific spot for everything in our tool crib, and tell people to put all their tools back in the correct spot, and write down what you take and let me know (I have to start inventory soon). But this was the original plan, and nobody really listens and everything becomes a mess again.
So basically my final question is: has anyone ever implemented a DIY (cant afford tool crib attendant) tool crib, in which they are able to accurately keep track of inventory. Sounds like a basic thing but actually getting it to work and everyone to follow the rules is a different matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest you attack the main runners first. Track on your own what jobs use what tooling. Generally you will see a pattern emerge. Then I would place a small tool carts near each machine. MAKE the operators responsible for their own tool cart. At the end of the day each operator should have all their tools in their cart. Now you may have an operator take a tool from anothers cart especially if you only have 1 set of tools for all of them. Either way that operator who is responsible for their cart needs to own it. All the special stuff that is used infrequently goes into the crib. Attack that and organize it second. You need to make it easy for the operators to put it back and find it otherwise they will just throw it anywhere.

StrykerTECH Engineering Staff
Milwaukee, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back