Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functional Tolerancing & Annotations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocad

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2007
SE
I wonder if anyone has experience from using the FTA-module (Functional Tolerancing & Annotations) and how the information about this module could be used in the production.

What functions of the FTA-module working well and badly?
What is the advantage and disadvantage working with the FTA-module?

Would be interesting to hear your views on this subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have only recently been trained and started to use it on a limited basis, but as you know, the purpose of the FT&A information is the elimination of 2D drawings. All design/machining/quality/etc. information can be saved within the CATPart or CATProduct.
This information can be accessed by suppliers to quote parts without the need for 2D drawings...Quality can use it for inspection...etc.
This information can be organized with "Captures" that are associated with certain production operations. EAch capture could be named for each step...the capture is activated when performing that step and all necessary information is turned on. When the next capture is activated, this info disappears and new info is shown.

One very nice feature that is included in the FT&A workbench that should be in the drafting workbench (But isn't) is the ability to generate dimensions by feature. Simply click on the "Generative Dimensions" icon, select the feature in the specification tree and all the sketch dimensions appear. Select the ones you want to be shown and hit apply (All others disapear). Not like drafting where you have to show all dimensions, then select all the dimension you don't want and either hide or delete them.
Why this functionality is not in the drafting workbench is ridiculous...probably just a reason to get user to purchase the FT&A license.

There is intelligence build into the FT&A workbench, which will not allow for illegal GD&T tolerancing.

If you still require 2D drawings, then all the views that are created within the FT&A workbench can be used to easily create the 2D drawing views. Simply click and place. What you see in the FT&A view is what you get in the 2D view. When the 3D FT&A view is updated, the 2D drawing is updated.

As I mentioned we are just starting to look at the possibilities, but there definitely appears to be benefits.

Well said Runz! The main benefit of FTA is the elimination of drawings by adding the dimensions. GD&T, notes, etc. directly to the 3D part geometry. But FTA info can be used to also make drawings (if required).

Two other downstream benefits: FTA info can be used for tolerance analysis (3DCA) and also CMM inspection (Delmia).

The only negative I can think of is plotting quality. But if you eliminate drawings, I guess you could try to eliminate hardcopy plots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back