Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functions show only and select constrained to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechzilla

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2013
US
Greetings all,

Hopefully somebody can help me, if not im sure I will manage. At my old job I used the CAD program SolidEdge, at my new place I use Pro-E. While Pro-E seems much nicer there are a few things I miss from SolidEdge, the two main ones being the functions “show only” and “selected constrained to”. They may not seem immediately useful but they really helped when I would have a large assembly. I could select one part and immediately find everything that it was constrained to, and then use show only to hide everything else from view. I mostly found it useful to constrain other parts or check how something was going to fit in the overall assembly.

I do not really have any hope that there is an easy way to replicate the “select constrained to feature”, but does anybody know if there is an easy way to do “show only”. I am aware of the simplified reps but they don’t seem very quick (although I could just be using them wrong). I have created a few mapkeys (not using scripts) but they don’t seem like they would be able to do anything close to that function. Maybe a mapkey script could do something like this? I have not written one but if somebody has some examples or knows where I could find some it would be a great starting point.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can right click a component or feature and select Global Reference Viewer to see full info on related features components. for items selected you'll get info on parent features and child features and info on which edges faces planes are being used internal or external to your immediate assembly.

This used to be called Info > Parent/Child.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

I don't setup my components on individual layers, but if you did you can "isolate" a layer where only it will show and every other layer will be hidden. It is non-intuitive but you can isolate several layers and the things on those layers will show and all other layers will not be displayed. This would allow your "show only" function. I tend to just use show & hide, I think it's probably just as fast as using layers. I would not waste the time setting up simplified reps for this.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back