Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fungus Analysis Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcags

Industrial
Jul 23, 2010
US
I currently work for a company that provides embedded systems and single board computers. Recently a customer has asked us to proved them with a fungus analysis report of our products and they reference MIL-STD 810. They basically want a profile of the parts we use and since we buy all of our parts from different vendors I am looking to find profiles on these parts such as resistors, capacitors and whatnot.

Does anyone know a good source to find ANY profiles about electronic components and fungus? I have been searching all day and haven't found a thing. The vendor website and their component profiles don't even have the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take this with a grain of salt, but the components themselves are not going to be the issue with fungus growth... that's an issue with the local humidity, any solvents/fluxes left on the PCBs, etc.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

A long time ago, coils and other components in radios were attacked by fungi and it was a problem in hot and humid places. The Germans still have wordings like "Tropenfest, Schimmelfest und Termitensicher" (Jungle-resistant, fungus-resistant and bug-resistant) in some of their specifications.

I do not think it will be a problem unless you use cotton, silk or paper/cardboard for insulation or coil formers or if you build instrument cases out of wood.

The fact that this isn't mentioned by any of your suppliers indicates that it is a non-existing problem nowadays. Your suppliers should be able to confirm that.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Typically, if they're looking for one -810 test, they might be looking for a complete suite of tests. If this is the case then it might be simpler to simply add this to the contract with the test house.

But if you can prove compliance by analysis, it *might* be cheaper. But if it turns into a time sink, testing might actually be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back