Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Furnace Flue Calculation help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adriangillitt

Marine/Ocean
Jun 17, 2003
GB
I am building a test furnace to test composite panels whilst being under load. The internal diameter of the furnace is 400mm cubed. I am unsure on how to design the diameter of the flue? I want the temperature of the air coming out of the flue to be as cold as possible.

We are putting in roughly 10Kw i think through a gas burner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Adrian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10kw input iquals gas input of 40000btu/hr. youwill do with a 2"NPS pipe vent .
hy gas for 10kw I would go electric and forget about the lost heat which is up to 40%
ER

Thank you very much for your reply. The reason we need to use a gas fired burner is because we are trying to emulate the hydrocarbon fire, and hence need to test with real flames at 1100C, and we need to follow the ISO curve, which means we need to get to this operating temperature very quickly and element type burners simply cannot do this.
2" sounds good, i had calculated that the internal diameter would be 50mm, which is just over 2".

I am unsure what to use in terms of material for the flue, stainless 310 grade seems the most likely option, and then wrap layers of insulation around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back