Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

furthering career into oil and gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJC22

Civil/Environmental
Sep 22, 2008
GB
I’m needing a bit of help/guidance, I enjoy my current job, but it’s not very well paid and the working conditions are bad and stressful. And I am at a point now where I am getting no more education (Since leaving school I have been in the same job and have an HNC Mech Eng) I work with 3D CAD programs for detailing steelwork just now, to move into the oil and gas industry (pipelines?..) what’s the best direction to take? Any and all advice is very welcome, thanks.

CJC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might think of a move to Piping with one ofthe major contracting companies, using your structural expertise to get into pipe support design. Maybe then piping design or stress. Many good supporters have made successful stress engineers. Good luck.

I'd suggest a large engineering company into refineries and chemical plants such as Fluor, WM Kellogg, Brown & Root, or those designing offshore platforms. Not much 3D in pipelines once they get off the platforms.

If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?" - Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing

You don't say anything about location. If you are free to go everywhere, take a look around the world.

One thing about oil and gas: some jobs will be connected to projects, manned up and going as far as the project continues, others wil be in company 'technical base'.

Where do you want to be?

Anyway, we once had an engineer answering one of our advertisments seeking a job away from oil and gas. He had been designing gangways (access bridges) for a project for three years....

The grass is not always greener....

You dont like stressful working conditions? I would avoid the service companies then. I think the least stressful positions would be within an operator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[knight]

"The world keeps turning, it keeps me in my place; where I stand is only three miles from space"
Spiritualized

Quote .... "I think the least stressful positions would be within an operator"

Unless you work for BP in Houston for instance.

C2it, Unless the Hi-Hi relief tank level horn has been sounding for the last 10 minutes, you have two buttons, "OPEN" & "CLOSE", neither of which are clearly marked, or are marked in totally unintelligable characters, and you don't even have a coin in your pocket with recognizable heads or tails so you can try to make a flip for it. :-

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back