Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuse and conductor sizing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAZ55

Electrical
Oct 24, 2007
US
I have a fuse and conductor sizing problem I need help with:

Problem:

MOTOR
Quantity: 32 motors
motor size: 1/3 hp
FLA : 3.6 A @230V
LRC : 14 A
connected phase to phase

SERVICE
240V THREE PHASE SERVICE.

I am trying to determine what size conductor and fuses to use for circuit protection.

My worst case scenario per phase-phase is 6 motors running while six are starting.

SOLUTION:
From FLA
11 x 3.6 + 1.25 x 3.6 = 44.1A = phase current
line current = 44.1A x SQRT(3) = 77A
I therefore can use # 6 wire and 100A NON fuse

but with 6 motors starting at the same time and six running I have

6 x 14 + 6 x 3.6 = 105.6 A = phase current
line current = 105.6A x sqrt(3) = 183A
which is more than what #6 wire and 100A NON fuse could withstand.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are welcome to use my calculation sheet. Please PM me your email so I can send it. I tried directly from here with 0 success. It's a PDF.
1. Amps for conductors - use NEC to find appropriate conductor for it.
2. C.B. should be sized by Total Amps (or a fuse). do not forget to multiply it by around 2,5 for fuse; use HACR CB for motors, size approx 1,25x.

Good luck with your project.

fx007 your sheet is very basic. It doesn't account for phase to line current conversion. Also I am not sure why you are multiplying the largest motor with 1.75. NEC 430.24 says to multiply the largest motor by 1.25.

The NEC allow you to size the breaker by 2.5 x FLA of the largest motor plus the sum of the FLA of the other motors.
Conductor size is 1.25 x FLA of largest motor plus the FLA of the other motors.

The NEC rules are different if this is a piece of equipment with multiple motors or multiple pieces of equipment each with their own motor. So, which one is this?

Can you confirm if these are 3-phase or single phase motors?

FYI, when referring to conductors, the phase and line currents are the same.

These are single phase fan motors on an Auto

connected to the AC supply as follows:
12 connected bw A-B phase
10 connected bw A-C
10 connected bw B-C

AC Source is a delta delta transformer bank

By the way, Lionel, I disagree with your comment on line and phase currents being the same when referring to conductors. It depends on, which circuit you are sizing the conductors for.
As I mentioned in my OP phase current is 45A and line current is 77A.

NEC TABLE 430-152 allows a breaker to be set at 250% of the motors FLA. In the case of several motors, you set the breaker for the largest motor + the sum of the other motors FLA.

Auto? Is this a vehicle of some sort?

With regards to wire, the phase current is typically referred to as the current that flows in each phase of a 3-phase wire or cable. The current flowing in the cable is the current in the cable, there is no internal wye or delta connection in a cable.

You have a somewhat unique case. You have a 3-phase feeder cable which is split to feed a bunch of single-phase loads and those loads conbine to create a delta connected load. Your conversion from motor load per "leg" to line current makes sense now that you have specified this.

Your first calculation is a little conservative but basically correct. If you wanted to be closer the rated currents are phase A = 70A, phase B = 70A and phase C = 62A. You can then add 25% of a single motor FLA to each current to get the minimum NEC required. Installing a 100A feeder circuit seems to be perfectly reasonable for this system.

Thanks Lionel for your last response. I agree with your deduction for using 100A. My concern was the motor starting amps and if they would blow 100A NON fuses. After looking at the time-current curve for 100A fuse I realized that 100A NON fuse could withstand 200A for 25 sec, which is plenty of time for the motors to reach FLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back