Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuse sizing in a 3 phase circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagit88

Electrical
Jul 13, 2005
US
I had an interview that had a test. One of the questions I supposedly got wrong was sizing each line (1L1, 1L2, 1L3) in a motor branch circuit. The nameplate on the motor was a given 3A FLA. I was asked to size the fuses by 300% using a class CC fuse. I took the 3A and divided by the square root of 3 and then took 300% of that. The EE manager told me I was wrong and that the 3A is across each line. I had thought the 3A on the nameplate was across all 3 phases and to find the particular current on each line you had to take into account the square root of 3. I went along with what he said. But, am I wrong and have I been undersizing my fuses or have they been oversizing them. I haven't had any problems in the past.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are deriving current from total watts or total KVA or horsepower, then you may need to use the root 3 factor.
The nameplate current of a motor is the actual current in each phase. You have been very lucky with your fusing.
Using the root of three resulted in your fuse sizing being 173% instead of 300%

sangit:

I undestand your confusion, being just out of the school. The term phase and lines are often loosely used in field, but are well understood by experienced persons.

When someone says I measured current in each phase of a panel or a motor, he/she usually means he/she measured the line current.

All equipment nameplate current invariably refer to line currents. For fuse sizing, only line current that matters.

For some insight refer to the following threrad:
thread238-118444

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back