Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fusion tack weld qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanweld99

Nuclear
May 2, 2013
CA
For a fillet weld PQR coupon welding, fusion tack welds are used on the PQR.
Can fusion tacks show on the WPS? Is a separate fusion weld PQR required in order to have fusion tacks on the WPS?

What is the ASME IX code interpretation on this?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Base material is unassigned customized material with specific dimension for fillet weld. Qualification is using production joint configuration.

Hello stanweld99. I believe you are using gtaw process. Per QW-256/QW-404.14 of Sec IX, deletion of filler is an essential variable. If you do your PQR without a filler, the production weld must be done without filler too.

If you would like to show fusion passes on your WPS for tack welding, there can be two ways of going about it.

One, do fusion passes in the root of the PQR coupon, and record their thickness. Remaining thickness can be filled with gtaw with the addition of filler. Mechanical testing can be done as usual, covering the entire thickness of the coupon in tension tests and bend tests. This allows you to specify fusion passes on WPS for tack welding.

Second way of doing it would be to have a separate PQR, done with only fusion passes. It might get difficult to match the base metal thicknesses in the production weld vis-a-vis coupon thickness, in this method though; - since the test coupon would be understandably made with low thick base metal, while the job might be a thick one.

I could find two interpretations IX-81-22 and IX-19-06, which kind of makes me lean towards the first method above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back