Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuzzy Logic Defuzzyfication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alecs2613

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2007
CA
Hi,

I started exploring Fuzzy Logic. Thanks to some tutorials, I was able to implement one on a DC motor.
However, there are some choices that I don't understand and it really bugs me.

I have two inputs: Error (from -10 to 10 which can be Neg, Zero, Pos) and Derivative (from -100 to 100 which can be Neg, Zero, Pos).
The output is a voltage (from -1 to 1 which can be Neg, Zero, Pos).

The rules are shown in the attached image. For Err=4 and Der=70, I have: Err_Zero = 0.6, Err_Pos = 0.4 and Der_Zero = 0.3, Der_Pos = 0.7.
This triggers 4 rules: ZZ and ZP leads to a Zero output with ZZ (0.6 from Err and 0.3 from Der) and ZP (0.6,0.7).
The other rules all lead to a Neg output PZ (0.4,0.3) and PP (0.4,0.7).

From here, I am not sure what to do. Through the tutorials I used, I saw two approches centroids and average weights. I am not sure which one would be best.

1) Centroids (as seems to be done in Matlab Toolbox): For each class, PZ, PP, ZZ, ZP, I took the minimum value. ZZ (0.3); ZP (0.6); PZ (0.3); PP (0.4). Then, for each output class (Neg and Zero), I took the maximum value. Zero: max(ZZ,ZP) = 0.6 and Neg: max(PZ,PP) = 0.4. From there, I trunk the output triangles at 0.6 and 0.4 (see figure) and found the center of mass. I am really not sure about this procedure. I think we first take the min value because my conditions are (if Err AND Deriv then) but I am not sure to understand why we should then take the max value. The result is -0.419. Matlab output is -0.4164.

2) The second approach was to take again the minimum value (because of the AND condition) ZZ (0.3); ZP (0.6); PZ (0.3); PP (0.4) and to compute an average weight. Output Neg is -1 and Zero is 0.
(N*ZZ + N*ZP + Z*PZ + Z*PP) / (ZZ+ZP+PZ+PP)
(-1*0.3 -1*0.6 + 0*0.3 + 0*0.4) / (0.3+0.6+0.3+0.4) = -0.5625. Matlab output is -0.4164.

In summary, the questions are:
1) Which approach to take between 1 and 2
2) For the 1st approach, am I doing it right ? Why take the min and max of the class ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Alex

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bf2ad5e1-f06d-49d7-9736-03e92e3827b6&file=Fuzzya.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back