Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FV-1 rating 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappedagain

Electrical
Jul 19, 2005
US
How doe FV-1 (from IEC 6070?) compare with VW-1 (vertical wire flame) and 94-VO (PCBs). If I meet the latter(s) do I meet FV-1?

Thanks,

John D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi John,

mcgyvr is correct. The FV-1 deveopled into the V-1 from an IEC perspective. Today, it can be found in IEC 60695-11-10.

From the introduction to IEC 60707:1999;

"... Whenever possible, these test flames have been based on existing types and methods, but with improved applications. Therefore, the FH and FV flammability tests described in the first edition of IEC 60707 are specified in IEC 60695-11-10 as the horizontal and vertical burning tests respectively. ..."

Again, as mcgyvr points out, a V-0 is more stringent than a V-1. There is not an established direct correlation between the V classifications and the VW-1 method and the acceptance of a VW-1 in lieu of a V-1 is at the discretion of the user. However, you are typically in the right direction with this situation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dan
**These views or comments are personal and do not represent the views or opinions of UL nor do they represent a formal interpretation of any standard. I am not acting as a spokesperson for UL.**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back