Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

G-force

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobb

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2002
US
Can anyone give the caculation to figure G-Force ?

Thanks
Scott Scott Cobb
CSM Manufacturing, Inc
csm-mfg.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scott -

We need a lot more information if we're going to be able to help you. Please describe your project in detail. And in all likelihood you've posted your question in the wrong forum; but we need the project specifics in order to point you to the right forum.

1) Chuck diameter 10" with 3ea jaws each with weight of 3.0 lbs.

2) Chucking Pressure of 200 psi.

3) Chuck rotation at 2000 rpm.

Question ?

G-force on each Jaw ?

I could be asking the wrong question here ? What im trying to find out, IS there a fomula to figure how much chucking pressure is need on a three jaw chuck to hold onto what you are chucking on. If your jaws have a certain weight and turnning at a certain RPM How do you no the correct amount of chucking psi to hold your component ? Scott Cobb
CSM Manufacturing, Inc
csm-mfg.com

Scott -

You're dealing with a mechanical engineering problem; you need to look in the forum area shown below. Those folks should be able to help you.

While the question you are asking is outside my specific area of practice, I suspect that the rotational speed is not the key factor - the applied torque is. After all, it would take very little chucking force to hold a bit when it is spinning in the wind!

When posting your question, be sure to include the information you posted here. I suspect you will also need to include the shaft size(s) gripped, whether the shaft is round or hex, bit material and strength (if known), and the motor's rated horsepower.

Good Luck!

[pacman]

Mechanical engineering other topics Forum
forum404

Generally, chucking force is never an issue. The force applied from the chuck key is geared down and the chuck jaws apply force essentially along a ridge in the jaw. I've never seen a drill come loose, unless it was a stupid mistake and someone forget to tighten the chuck at all.

When drill a resistant material, that's another matter all together. I've have drills get stuck and break loose of the chuck, requiring removal and really cranking on the key, but I've never known anyone to try to figure out the actual force. TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back