Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G loading & Acceleration impact factor to be considered for transportation design

Status
Not open for further replies.

behanan

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2019
IN
Acceleration impact factor to be considered for transportation design
Axial=1.5 , Lateral= 1.5, Vertical=2.0

I have considered G loading in PV Elite to input these values as Longitudinal(Gx) Lateral(Gy), Vertical(Gz). But I found that these values ranges from 0 to 0.4 from

Attached image

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1566449952/tips/112_deabhz.png[/URL]

How should I input these above values?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used PV Elite by I would think you have to multiply the importance factor by the G loadings.
Say for example: Importance factor 1.5 x 0.4 G.
If you have different fields for each one - the program will then multiply them subsequently.

Which importance factor you use and what would the G value be is up to you to make the right judgement.

If you aren't sure - go for the worst case first and use the highest possible values for both.

BEHANAN, I think you might have misinterpreted your inputs because the 'G' values we consider for transportation are much higher than what we consider for seismic (the range 0 to 0.4g is only for seismic design) in your case I believe it is Gx = 1.5 x 1g; Gy = 1.5 x 1g; Gz = 2 x 1g (where, 1g is the actual transportation weight)but it seems much higher though. Ask your client whether to apply these important factors for 1g or if you should apply these important factors to 'G' values from your Project spec / Local safety regulation / standard practices such as PIP.

BEHANAN,

You've recently started a number of threads, then never returned to respond to questions or thank the generous people that have provided advice and guidance.

Personally, I will be avoiding responding to your posts until you begin returning to your threads and contributing.

Cheers,
Marty

marty007 said:
You've recently started a number of threads, then never returned to respond to questions or thank the generous people that have provided advice and guidance.
I made a similar comment here.
marty007 said:
I will be avoiding responding to your posts until you begin returning to your threads and contributing.
Seems like a good idea.

marty007 & XL83NL
hELLO, Actually I m new user to engg tips and BPVC , I didnt know to reply individually. I haven't find the option for that. Pls dont consider that im ignoring the comments.
Thanks everyone.

balamurugan
Actually in the datasheet it is written as acceleration impact factor axial, lateral and longitudinal and so on
But for seismic design, i have chosen G loading , and the input to be entered are axial, lateral and longitudinal, Gy, Gx, Gz. Also the value ranges are from 0 to 0.4 max found from hexagondocs website.
I have followed the default value, i.e 0.4 but the problem is I have found the rib thickness to be higher. Since, it is for material take off, i have followed the default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back