Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G59/2 equivalent standard in mainland Europe and America? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennett

Electrical
Aug 4, 2011
GB
Can anyone tell me what the G59/2 equivalent standard is in mainland Europe and America? Does anyone know where I can access these equivalent standards?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the title it results: it is not actually a standard but "Recommendations".
ER 59/2 is called :
"Recommendations for Connection of Generating Plant to the Distribution System of Licensed Distribution Network Operators"
edited by ENA U.K.
In every country where Distribution System of Generating Plant is permitted, I think, there is a national standard of this kind of
recommendations". For instance see :
German Transmission Code 2007

It's not a 'standard' in that sense but it effectively is a standard because the DNO will not accept a generator connected to their network without this protection function.

Try the following the IEEE Std 1547 and the guide lines in progress

- P1547.1 standardfo rinterconnection test procedures
- P1547.2 guide to 1547 standard
- P1547.3 guide for information exchange for DR interconnected with EPS
- P1547.4 guide for DR island systems

Thanks for the replies.

As far as I can see the German grid code (and many others including the UK) refer only to distributed generators at higher voltage levels and for large and medium size generators. In the case of the German grid code the rules are specified for generators with grid connections at 380/220/110kV. Does anyone know of standards (or in the UK recommendations that everyone has to abide by - thanks Scotty) that are used in America and mainland Europe for small DG at 11kv/400V levels?

I've looked at IEEE Std 1547, I've been able to find testing procedures and guidance on how DG should behave during the test but it does not specify limits for under/overvoltage and under/overfrequency as it does in G59/2. Have I overlooked this or is this not contained within this standard?

The short answer (in the USA) is, each utility will have its own set of criteria. Careful coordination with the connecting utilty is required as part of the planning process. Further, the Utility will often refer to state or regional authorities for protecton requirements. I have seen many projects go sour because proper coordination and communication with the connecting utility was not followed or the owner failed to follow the utilities established guidelines.

I haven't seen much DG connected directly at ~400V, but there are many Independent Power Producers (IPP's), that tie into Medium Voltage (~12kV) systems.

Careful attention has to be made to the local utility reclosing times. Often transfer trip is also a requirement.

The IEEE PRSC has a document titled "Intertie Protection of Consumer-Owned Generation", which contains guidelines and can be found PRSC
You have to navigate to the published reports area to find the file.

Examples of local utility requirements:

(search settings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back