Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GA Drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggieengineerrmb

Mechanical
May 27, 2003
US
What is the difference between a General Arrangement drawing and a General Assembly drawing for a component like a valve or a pump? I guess I have always used these terms interchangeably and called them both GA drawings, but I see that some vendors differentiate them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know that there is an official definition for this.

In my mind an assembly drawing identifies each component or sub-assembly and shows how they get put together. An arrangment drawing shows the overall layout of the equipment, and points you to other drawings where more detail can be found.

MintJulep is right. General assembly drawing gives you an exploded view of the equipment(for general use during maintenance) where as a general arrangement drawing gives you the details of an assembled equipment ready to be installed(general use during installation).

PS: This is my understanding after going through so many drawings.

Regards,

To me, general arrangement drawings show the overall outside dimensions of an assembly of items. For example, a skid-mounted assembly like a compressor unit or a pump and motor mounted on a baseplate.

On the other hand, general assembly drawings show the internals of the item like a compressor and includes the manufacturers part numbers.

The above relates to machinery but if you are putting a steel structure together then there may not be a difference.

I hope this may help...

- General Arrangement drawings are used mainly in Project / Process Engineering, to show, and locate equipment respect to the co-ordinate system within the plant or field, showing only those dimensions, datum, elevations to refer each equipment to other equipment or structures. Is common practice to indicate (in plan wiew) a short description (type, capacity, power,...). A valve is referred into the pipeline showing it basic specifications( diameter/type/standard), distance from pump, height from floor, and special connection specifications. This valve will be identified by a TAG number or code.

- General Assembly drawings, show the equipment referred to itself, and is used mainly for location, anchoring, connections, maintenance. In some complex equipment there may have several disciplines or sub-assemblies (electrical, control, pneumatic...)General Assembly drawings are more usual in Design Engineering, ad usually are provided from equipmet manufacturers. General Assembly drawings uses the PART NUMBER.

I work from 15 years in Conveying Design Project Engineering. When I start... I had many fights to define this and other topics.

¡ Best regards to all from Chile !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back