Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gabion bridge bulkhead 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samclane

Civil/Environmental
Jan 31, 2003
US
we are consdiering a gabion bulkhead (6'w x 21' L x 9'h) to support a rail car bridge. Rock may not be available. Will gabion strength be compromised if gravel (2" minus) is used with reiforcement grade geotextile basket lining? Max truck load is 100 tons. Most loads under 50 tons.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

YES.

A large part of the strength of gabions (in that type of application) is the interlocking between the crushed rock fragments. Using sub-rounded gravel that is smaller than 2 inches (50 mm) won't give you anywhere near the same performance.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Focht 3 is absolutely correct. I would also wonder if the rock would remain inside the basket at such a small caliper.

Keithe J. Merl

Only with the help of a geotextile -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Then why not use mechanically stabalized earth methods, why even bother with rock jails.... you can build soil wrapped face slopes at near vertical, or maybe even celluar geotextiles.

Keithe J. Merl

Hmmm,

I'd be very concerned about the friction between the gravel and geotextile. It might work, but would take an awful lot of geotextile - particularly for a 9 foot high wall. Too bad the gravel isn't larger; I'd suggest running it through a crusher first.

I also thought about setting up a pug mill on-site and producing low-grade concrete (like RCC.) But round rock might not work too well, and the cost would be pretty high. Still, it might be cheaper than importing more appropriate materials, or constructing an inverted T retaining wall.

[pacman]

I don't think a wrap faced slope would use much more fabric then fabric lined gabions. The other method may be to use MSE block walls or the like...

Keithe J. Merl

Why not put in a footer, sit on a concrete wall and tie it back into the embankment using soil anchors? - else, if you can, you can put in deadman anchors (assuming the that embankment isn't yet constructed) - like a bulkhead. Anyway that's my thought on this morning - the day after Australia sort of took India to the cleaners in the first of a best of three cricket tournament. It was so bad that the Indian web sites did not even include it in their headlines. Instead, Lennox's retirement was put in. [cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back