Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gabion for stream protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0k

Geotechnical
Dec 11, 2014
NZ
Hi...
could you help me to give a simple design for a gabion wall to protect the river bank? how to calculate the hydraulic force against the gabion to include in the stability analysis?
Other issues are to increase bearing capacity and secondly to protect the footing base against scouring. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used the following publications for the design of wadi revetments in the Middle East with gabion and Reno mattresses. The first design manuals are excellent and provide a lot of background for the design formulas. I hope it helps.
- Maccaferri design manual: "Revestimento de canais e cursos de água" (in Portuguese) Link
- Flexible structures in river and stream training works and earth retaining works, using Maccaferri gabions and Reno mattresses (4 manuals set) Link
- CIRIA C551 - Manual on scour at bridges and other hydraulic structures
- River and channel revetments, a design manual - M.Escarameia (1998)
- BANK AND CHANNEL PROTECTIVE LINING DESIGN PROCEDURES - GEOTECHNICAL DESIGN PROCEDURE GDP-10 Link
- RIVER ENGINEERING FOR HIGHWAY ENCROACHMENTS - Publication No. FHWA NHI 01-004 Link
- Principles for the Design of Bank and Bottom Protection for Inland Waterways Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back