Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gabions for slope protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiryu

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2013
JP
Hi, has anybody used gabions for slope protection? We are planning to use gabions for an open detention basin, and just wondering if there is any guidelines for design of slope protection using gabions. The slope is clay and right now my concern is to keep the slope flatter than the drained friction angle of the clay that is about 25 degrees (so we are planning a 1:2 slope), then use gabions on the face of the slope for slope protection. The gabions can be sloped or stepped. The height of the slope is about 5 meters which is quite high. Thanks for your help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was thinking on this, and the only checks that I am planning to do for sloped gabions, is for sliding stability of the gabion cage. Just checking it as a sliding block on an inclined plane. If friction is not enough, then we may need to provide some hooks to keep the gabions in place to avoid sliding due to their own weight.

maccaferri has software for designing gabions slope protection. they will also provide the recommended factors for design. if you ask nicely, they will run the analysis for you

Thanks for your responses. All very good points. I will look at Maccaferri website and their designs.

Sounds like you may be referring to gabion mattresses. You might wish to make a gabion or rockfill toe as a key but the mattress would work up the slope.

Thanks BigH. Yes, we are installing gabions toes as well. Also, as Mike and moe333 recommended, I checked for global stability of the slope and rapid drawdown using stability charts from the Fang's Handbook. Thanks all again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back