Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanic Corrosion - Leaded Brass and Aluminium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson_123

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2016
US
I have metal to metal contact between leaded brass and aluminum components. The aluminium is Nituff coated and sits inside the brass body. The only fluid that this combination comes into contact with is refined fuels. A dirty green colored deposit is being observed from time to time on the inner surface of the brass body which is in contact with Aluminum. I was wondering if the Nituff coating is insufficient to prevent corrosion? Also, please give me your inputs regarding measures which can be taken to prevent the formation of this residue.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to figure out what in the fuel is causing the corrosion, it isn't a hydrocarbon.
It is either an additive or moisture.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Additional information: The deposit was sent to analysis and the EDS spectrum indicated the presence of Oxygen, Copper, Zinc, Lead and Tin.

The is some water ( ppm level) dissolved in any fuel as it leaves the refinery ; There is a standard test using a strip of copper ( I forget the test name ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back