Galvanic Corrosion Prevention Options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbaldwin

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2020
US
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a project where the client wants all 316 fasteners on a polyurethane bend restrictor. However, on the bend restrictor, on the droop line, we've added a clump weight made out of carbon steel (cost reasons) and I am trying to determine how to prevent galvanic corrosion. I plan on coating the clump weight and adding a welded on anode, but I'm trying to determine if this will be enough, AND what type of fasteners I should use. Any help is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you saying the weight will be threaded and attached with stainless steel screws? Is this a subsea application? If so, that's probably a no-go unless it gets coated after assembly. If it's through bolted, you need to completely isolate the 316 from the carbon steel using washers/sleeves with good dialectric properties.

even galvanising the carbon steel won't help...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Swinny has it, you can't thread the SS into the steel unless this is a short lived application.
You can pass the SS through the steel, but it must be fully isolated with non-conductive washers and sleeves.
Could you attach the weights with fiberglass bolts?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Adding an anode is the correct approach. With the anode in place you need to ensure electrical continuity to the fasteners, as in remove paint underneath them. The anode will prevent any galvanic corrosion between the SS and CS. It will also prevent the 316L fasteners from corroding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back