Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanized Storm Drain Inlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdynamic

Civil/Environmental
Apr 28, 2005
US
When I review Standard Details for local Governments, I see that some storm drain inlets are galvanized and others are not.

What would be the difference between galvanized frame/hood and non-galvanized in terms of cost, maintenance, etc.?

The galvanized storm drain inlet unit is better and has more benefits in the long run? I am curious...

Thanks in advance for your advice or suggestion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I only specify cast iron frames and grates and reinforced concrete structures. Both do the job and last a long time. Galvanizing is susecptible to physical damage (during constructon in operation) which willexpose the underlying steel to corrosion. Can you describe the type of inlet that you have seen that is galvanized?

Galvanized reticuline grates are commonly used in upstate NY, despite the use of deicing salts. I've seen many more failed structures than failed grates, but this could be biased by the fact that grates are replaceable, and structures need more extensive repairs when they go.

One advantage is they have more open area, and clog less frequently.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Thanks for your responses. The storm inlet type is "Combination Inlet:Catch basin + Curb opening hood". Sometimes "Asphalt Paint" is used for all exposed parts of the inlet instead of Galvanized.
I don't know what the best option in Northern California.

not all metal parts in your common types of catch basins can be (or commonly are) fabricated from cast iron. For these structural elements, steel is used. For instance, the frame for many square grates is made of 3" x 4" steel angles welded together. Paint is a lower cost and effective corrosion deterrent for these items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back