Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Garage Opening Shear Wall Overturning? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRL43

Civil/Environmental
Dec 27, 2004
US
If I don't use the shear capacity of the "wing" walls of a garage opening, do I still need hold downs?

Situation: Zone 4, Line 'A' = 4' shear panel, door, 4' shear panel, 20' garage opening, 2 foot shear panel

The 2 4' shear panels carry the shear and overturning with hold downs on both sides. The "2 foot shear panel" or "wing" wall at the garage opening is not used to resist the shear in Line 'A'.

I believe that I don't need hold downs for the wing wall because if the wing wall were to overturn that would transfer load through the garage header to the next shear panel and would have to overturn the next shear panel.

As long as the shear drags to the 2 4' panels and overturning is calculated, why would I need to put hold downs on the 2' wing wall?

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you would need hold-downs either if it's not a shear wall. I would make sure to limit the deflection of the shear walls enough so that you don't have a problem with separating the sheathing from the sole plate and so forth.

Question to SperlingPE:

Why would height to width ratios that govern shear walls apply to a wall that is not a shear wall?

You are correct, there shouldn't be a reason or need for holdowns at a "non-shear wall". Just be sure to calc. your collector and drag forces, then strap accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back