Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas burner high fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingston

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2004
US
I have an application which currently uses a burner rated for 47 kBTUH. I would like to use the same burner in a different unit but fire at 49 - 50 kBTUH. I know that I could possibly see lifting flames and decrease in burner life. I will prove these out but does anyone have a solid reason that it would be a dead end to try this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Livingston,

Assuming that you are burning Gas or light oil and this burner fires with 100% air through the burner and you are firing with 10 to 20% excess air - this should normally not be a problem for a few percent increase in capacity. That is if you are firing into the same system. You should not see any flame problems or decrease in burner life.

Note you may see a slight increase in air pressure drop you are putting more into the burner so you will need to push it a little harder. You will want to verify that your combustion air fan is properly sized for the added capacity - flow and pressure. Using 20% excess air your fan will need to be capable for 9586 scfm.

If the units vary then you may need to evaluate the chamber size you will be firing into to accomodate flame dimensions, draft fan capacity etc - you need to evaluate the whole system to see if it will work.

More details wouls help - Burner make and model, fuels fired, type of unit you will be firing into - is this a Low NOx application? There are a lot of variables.

Good Luck!

Combustor

The system is natural draft and the combustion chamber is smaller than the current system's. We are using a swordfish burner with pinched ports. (natural and propane gases) The unit is actually a small boiler with a crossflow heat exchanger. Because I am modifying a current design, I did not foresee an issue with the excess air. Smaller combustion chamber, same size draft hood.....am I being too optimistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back