Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas Compressor Station Pressure Drop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Termodinamica

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2012
US
When determining the overall compression required for natural Gas across a compressor or compressor station. What Delta P drop should I used for the suction and discharge of the compressor station assuming. Is there a rule of thumb of 5psig or something of the like for each side ( suction and discharge). Or is there a pressure drop rule for each componene like scrubbers valves, coolers and Ts etc. Any help will really assist me. Also is there a user friendly software out there that could simulate my velocities and pressure drop in my compressor station yard piping. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand the way of asking questions. You would like to have some rough figures or order of magnitude, that is fine, but you do not give any info on the type of compressor station, the power involved, the size. etc nothing.

There are gas compressor stations for pipeline, for gas export, there are small machines used for boosting etc. So how can we help?

"If you want to acquire a knowledge or skill, read a book and practice the skill".

Very True. Not enough detail. This would be a 25,000 HP Interstate Mainline station with slow-speed integral reciprocating compressors such as Cooper Bessemer GMWs compressor at or above a 1Bcf.

No idea about reciprocating machine of this size.

On a typical pipeline booster group (means compressing to pipeline pressure 70-75 bar) and rated about 10-15 MW power, I would use conservatively 0.5 to 1 bar at inlet (to account for the line losses + scrubber) and about same at discharge but an easy 2.5 bar if there is further an intercooling between stages.

But this is my 2 cents...

"If you want to acquire a knowledge or skill, read a book and practice the skill".

I'd say that's pretty close. Probably something like 25-50 psi pressure drop should be allowed, say 1/2 on the inlet side and 1/2 on the outlet side, due to inlet and outlet pressure control valves, bends, scrubbers, meters, headers, etc., but of course this is highly dependent on exactly what equipment will be placed within.

Intercooler pressure drops would not normally be included when specifying compressor requirements, but of course would have to be accounted for in design of the machine for a given compression ratio.

you must get smarter than the software you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back