Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas Cut Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay

Chemical
Nov 22, 2010
GB
Hi all,

I was wondering, when considering a vessel in the north sea, how much gas would it take to sink a boat?

What would be the calculation method to work out when the water would have sufficient gas cut as to cause the boat to loose buoyancy?

Thanks,

R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yeah I am unsure how to approach the calculation. I know the gas in the water will cause the density to decrease which will mean the weight of water displaced is less than the weight of the vessel which will cause it to sink.

I know it is a play on archemedies but unsure what to do.

The point at which the vessel sinks is when it reaches zero bouyancy. This depends on the weight of fluid displaced by the weight of the vessel. Say the vessel displaces 1/2 of it's total volume normally in water. If the gas cut were to reduce the effective density of the water/gas to 1/2 of the original density the vessel would displace its entire volume of the water/gas mix. Therefor causing it to likely sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back