Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas cylinder storage room

Status
Not open for further replies.

thibaios12

Chemical
Mar 19, 2005
GR
Hello my friends. I am interested in building a room where we can store some gas cylinders. Do you know if there is a standard about that room. Any specifications? I am searching and i cannot find something so far...Thanks in advance...
Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really depends on where you are in the world.

We have to have them stored upright and chained to the wall, If it is permanent storage then they are also inside a locked cabinet which is clearly labelled with its contents and only relevant personnel have keys

What types of gasses are you storing? There are codes but they are dependant on what kinds of gas. A room full of N2 bottles won't require some of the things a room full of O2 or H2 will require.

Actually the standard says 50 feet separation of O2 and other flammible gasses if in an open area. They can be closer if you have them separated by fire wall. Probably the best way to design your room is to compartmentalize and put up dividing walls to segrigate the gasses. Also, don't forget about fire suppression requirements of the room depending on the amount of materials you are wanting to store. You will also want to consider blow out panels or another failure point in case of an explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back