Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas fired chiller certification. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdl60

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2007
US
We have installed several gas fired chillers that were manufactured by Broad Air Conditioning of China which have an ASME "U" stamp for unfired pressure vessels. The State inspector claims that these units are fired pressure vessels and as such should have an ASME "H" stamp. Note, Broad is only certified to apply the "U" Stamp.

Is it possible to re-certify the units in the field and have the correct stamp applied?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Dean. I belong to ASME so I checked the following manufacturers of direct fired steam absorbers to see what ASME certificates they carried:

McQuay
Trane
York
Carrier
Dunham-Bush

and they all carried "U" stamps only. It will be impossible to get a unit that will satisfy the State Inspector.

Dick

If you post the design here to be able to help you: PSI, Size in CF would be of help

Hi, McQuay. I as well believe that your item should be cathegorized as a direct fired p.v. per U-1(h). Don't you have any wright of appeal to the Chief Boiler Inspector of your State or Municipality?

Size and pressure define a lot of things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back